Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Christmas Time!

Yes I know that Christmas stuff has been up in the stores since just before Halloween, but my husband would have been annoyed if I had bought any of it before it was even November. However, now that we are in the 11th month, I am happy to announce that I own a large, fake tree. I have always wanted a fake tree because quite frankly, real ones don’t last long enough. I want the tree up the day after Thanksgiving and I refuse to take it down before the first weekend of January.
Some people will say that a fake tree is ridiculous. Really? Quantitatively, how much more ridiculous can you get than bringing a cut tree inside your house in the dead of winter to hang plastic sparkly things and useless little lights all over it? Does using a fake tree really add a whole lot of ridiculousness to the equation?
My husband likes to remind me that the whole tree thing is a pagan ritual to which I say “bring on the paganism!” Christmas has really become quite a mish-mash of traditions and I think that means we get to chose which ones hold meaning for us and which ones we can live without. That is why, this year, I will turn on my fake fire in my real fireplace, put on my Mariah Carey Christmas CD, plug in my pre-lighted plastic tree, and hang stuff all over it and I am going to revel in every ridiculous second of it.

No comments: